Sunday, August 23, 2015

Emmy and Oliver by Robin Benway ~ Book Review


Title: Emmy and Oliver 

Author:  Robin Benway

Genre: Young Adult Contemporary Fiction 

Published:  June 23, 2015

Hardcover:  352 pages 


Brief Synopsis:

Emmy and Oliver have been good friends their entire life. They live next door to each other, their mothers are best friends, and they were even born on the same day. In second grade, tragedy strikes when Oliver is kidnapped by his father and is never heard from again. Ten years later, Oliver is found! This book explores the journey of Oliver returning home. It shines an interesting perspective on kidnapping and shows the challenges of rebuilding a friendship that was lost and now found. 



My Thoughts

I am not including the Goodreads Summary in this review for a good reason. I think it gives you a little too much information. So stay away from the summary on the book! 
I really, really enjoyed this book! I felt it was a little slow to begin. This has been a thing lately in my reading. ALL the books I have read lately have started out slow. So it may just be me and my reading mood. I fell in love with the characters right away, especially Oliver and Emmy. I thought they were both so sweet. I loved to see how their relationship developed and how they learned to build back their friendship. 

Things I LOVED About This Book

- I loved the family dynamics in this book. Family was a huge theme in this book. The parents were very present in the book and it was very refreshing. 

-One theme that is very central to the story is communication. The characters all struggle with communication barriers and it was frustrating to read about at times, but it made the story very real. 

-I loved the interesting perspective that this story presented. It allows you to see a side of kidnapping that was unexpected and intriguing. 

- The ending was beautiful! I was worried that I was not going to like the ending. I really enjoyed the direction the author went with the characters and I was extremely satisfied with the ending. 

Things I Did NOT Love

- Nothing really stood out as bad to me in this book.
 If I had to pick something it would be that the book started out a little slow. 

My Favorite Quotes:

"The more you start to love someone, the more you ache when they're gone, and maybe it's that middle ground that hurts the most, when you can see them and still not feel like you're near enough."

"Sometimes loves isn't something say, it's something you do."

"An earthquake would have been better. At least during an earthquake, you understand why you're shaking."

Goodreads Rating


Thanks for visiting today!! 
I hope you check out this great book. Have you read it yet? Are you planning to add it to your TBR? 

Happy Reading!!









12 comments:

  1. I actually received a copy of this one the other day for review Theresa and really excited to crack it open now. I love how the main emphasis is on family, usually in YA it's always on the romance and family always tends to take a backseat. And a beautiful ending? It sounds perfect and just what I need after reading Queen of Shadows, which is making my heart ache. Wonderful review Theresa <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness!! You have read Queen of Shadows!!?!?!! I am so jealous! I cannot wait to read that book! I am going to her book signing. So excited! I am a little scared that your heart is aching after reading it?!?
      Hope you read your review copy of Emmy and Oliver. There is romance but it is not central to the story. The main themes are family and friendship. Definitely a great read!! :)

      Delete
  2. YAY!! Glad yu really enjoyed this one. I thought it was such a great story and the characters were awesome. Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did like it! :) My favorite part was the diner scene. It was such an emotional part of the book and gave me all the feels. Loved it! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy you loved this book. I enjoyed it so much, especially the friendship between Caro, Drew and Emmy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I loved all the friendship that this book had too! :) Drew and Caro were such great characters and I really liked their ups and downs in the book.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you liked this! I had a copy of it but I wasn't really that interested in it, though I might pick it up again. Great review!

    Asma @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was a little slow to start! I think it is definitely worth another try! :)

      Delete
  5. So happy to see you enjoyed this one, Theresa! It's been on my TBR ever since I first read the synopsis. I have it on reserve at the library and am hoping to get it soon... sounds like one I'm going to enjoy.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! :) I hope you get your copy from the library soon, Tanya! It is really great book and I cannot wait to hear your thoughts.

      Delete
  6. I have a copy of this in my laptop bag now! I've promised myself I can read it when I've read the two HUGE fantasy novels that are sat on my TBR (and have been since May... Ooops!), but now I can't wait to start!
    Oh, and I know I say this every time, Theresa, but I LOVE your reviewing style. It's the best!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe- you are too sweet! :) It is definitely a work in progress. Still trying to decide what I want to include in my reviews. What two fantasy books are next on your TBR? I am always looking for some fantasy to add to my TBR. :)

      Delete