Sunday, June 14, 2015

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews ~ Book Review

Title:  Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Author: Jesse Andrews

Pages: 295, Hardcover

Published:  March 1, 2012

Goodreads Summary:

Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.

Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.

Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia—-cue extreme adolescent awkwardness—-but a parental mandate has been issued and must be obeyed. When Rachel stops treatment, Greg and Earl decide the thing to do is to make a film for her, which turns into the Worst Film Ever Made and becomes a turning point in each of their lives.

And all at once Greg must abandon invisibility and stand in the spotlight.







Thoughts:

I decided to read this book after seeing the movie trailer. It was not even on my TBR list on Goodreads. I thought it looked cute and funny and I decided to give it a shot. At first, I thought it was going to be hard not compare this book to The Fault in our Stars. But, that was not hard, because it is nothing like TFIOS at all. The only thing that they have in common is they both have a character battling cancer. 
One thing that I really liked about this book was the way it was written. I really liked his creative approach. The author definitely took some risks and tried a lot of unusual writing styles. It was very refreshing to see a new approach to writing. It was definitely my favorite part of this book. I really liked the characters in the story. They were all very unique and interesting to read about. I just felt that there was something missing from this story and I cannot put my finger on what it is. I just wanted more. I did not love this book, but I did like it. I really, really wanted to love this book because of its uniqueness but it was not enough for me. Maybe I needed more character development or more emotion or maybe I am just missing point of the story. I know this is a very loved book and I really wanted to join that club, it just did not happen. I am really looking forward to the movie. I thing it will translate really well to a movie format. 

Favorite Quote:

“There was just something about her dying that I had understood but not reallyunderstood, if you know what I mean. I mean, you can know someone is dying on an intellectual level, but emotionally it hasn't really hit you, and then when it does, that's when you feel like shit.” 


Movie Trailer: 




Goodreads Rating:

Thanks for visiting my blog! Have you read this book? What are your thoughts on it? Do you plan to read it?

2 comments:

  1. I am waiting on the audio for this at my library. I feel I need to read before I see the movie but have heard good things about both. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be perfect to listen on audiobook! I am really excited to see the movie!

      Delete