Friday, July 3, 2015

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs ~ Book Review

Note:
There will be no spoilers for this book or the first book in this review. If you have not read the first book, I encourage you not to read the Goodreads Summary. 

Click here to see my review for book #1

Title: Hollow City 

Author: Ransom Riggs

Series:  Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #2

Pages: 416 pages 

Published:  February 24, 2015

Goodreads Summary:
This second novel begins in 1940, immediately after the first book ended. Having escaped Miss Peregrine’s island by the skin of their teeth, Jacob and his new friends must journey to London, the peculiar capital of the world. Along the way, they encounter new allies, a menagerie of peculiar animals, and other unexpected surprises.
Complete with dozens of newly discovered (and thoroughly mesmerizing) vintage photographs, this new adventure will delight readers of all ages.







Thoughts: 

The first book in this series is definitely just the beginning to this story. In this book, there was a stronger plot line. There is a lot more action! This one had a lot more character development than the first book. We learned a lot more about the characters, especially the peculiar children. Even though this story was very action-packed, it still felt a little slow. I felt that the story was very patterned at times. We would meet new characters, learn a little and move on. Then we would meet more new characters, learn a little more than move on. None of the new characters stayed in the story very long. I liked a lot of the new characters, but as soon as we got to know them the story would move on. Overall, I thought the story was enjoyable and I am very interested to see where the story goes from here. I still think it is worth the read! 

Things I Liked About This Book:

  • I loved the introduction to the new characters. I hope they come back in the final book!
  • Again, another great cliff hanger! Ransom loves to end with a bang!
  • I liked the plot in this book and I like where the story is headed next. 
  • I loved that the author had peculiar animals in this book. I loved that part of the book!




Things I Did NOT Love About This Book:


  •  I still think the romance is awkward. I think I have accepted it, but it is still annoying at times. 
  • There are too many new characters that we did not get to see much from in the story.
  • I felt that Ransom still choose photos and characters that were not needed for the story. A lot of them added to the story, but some were unnecessary.   
  • I still feel like I have too many questions that have not been answered! 
Goodreads Rating:

Have you started this series yet?? What are your thoughts about it? 

Happy Reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment