Monday, April 6, 2015

All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven ~ Book Review


Publication: January 6, 2015 by Knopf

388 pages 

Goodreads Summary:  
Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.
 
Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.


This is an intense, gripping novel perfect for fans of Jay Asher, Rainbow Rowell, John Green, Gayle Forman, and Jenny Downham from a talented new voice in YA, Jennifer Niven.


**This book does have triggers for suicide and mental illnesses. If this triggers you, you may not want to read this book.







Thoughts:
First of all, let it be known that no matter what I say about this book, I will never be able to do it justice. It is absolutely, without a doubt, the most beautiful book I have ever read (next to The Book Thief). It is now my favorite contemporary book of all time. Sorry Fangirl. I still love you and you still have a very special place in my heart. 
I did not think I would like it as much as I would. While I was reading this book, I literally had to stop at times. I was crying so hard I could not continue reading the book. I have never been so emotional with any other book and I have read some tear jerkers.  There is so much I love about this book, so let's just get started. 

My Favorite Things About This Book:
  • It has opened my mind on how I look at mental illnesses.  I am changed forever. 
  • The way this book addresses depression, bullying, and tragedy. You can tell it is coming from a very genuine place.
  • I loved how this book has opened my mind to exploring the world.
    • I have learned that there are so many quirky, amazing places around me that I have yet to explore.
    • I now see that you do not need to go far to find those places. 
  • The way the book is written. I have so many favorite quotes, scenes and passages. I have some of them listed below. 
  • The characters! Finch and Violet- they were so amazing! The characters are so well developed and I loved to see their growth and changes throughout the book. The author made them so likable and they win your heart. Then, all of sudden your heart is crushed into a million pieces.
  • This book really makes you think and I know this book have made an everlasting impression on my perspective and my compassion for others. 


My Favorite Quotes: 


"When we're in the act of wandering, we need to be present, not watching it through the lens." ~Finch, page 97

"You are all the colors in one, at full brightness." ~Finch, page 172

"Your hope lies in accepting your life as it now lies before you, forever changed. If you can do that, the peace you seek will follow. Forever changed." ~Violet, page 348-349

 "The thing I realize is that it's not what you take, it's what you leave." -Violet, page 376

Final Thoughts:

You definitely need to just read it yourself. On Goodreads, they say it is The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park. I am not the biggest fan of Eleanor and Park, but I think this is the perfect depiction for this amazing story. It does have two quirky characters that have trouble fitting in with everyone else. The main characters Violet and Finch,  find who they truly are, through their friendship and love for each other (like Eleanor and Park). Sadly, they meet each other through tragic and unexpected circumstances (like The Fault in Our Stars).

I cannot wait to see the movie of this book! Violet is supposed to be played by Elle Fanning. This movie is going to be incredibly hard to watch. I am probably going to cry through the entire film. I hope it is going to be as beautiful as the book.    

My Goodreads Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment